The following collection contains 5 of the most imponent and easy to use console emulator plugins.
- Up/down command history (like terminal), with localStorage saving/persistence.
- Option to evaluate all commands inside a hidden
<iframe>(blocking access to global window scope) with a script loader to inject your libraries of choice.
- Basic syntax highlighting for errors and variable types.
- Special commands (like
- Fits into any container and fully embeddable.
- Easy to set up, intuitive to use.
- Remote device debugging using "listen" command (more info).
- Resizable font (yep, biggest issue with Firebug in workshops).
- Autocomplete in WebKit desktop browsers.
- Shift + up/down for bigger console.
- Save history (based on session).
- Add support for loading in a DOM (YQL - I thank you again).
- Permalink to individual executions.
- Allow to autofocus the terminal, rather than having to click on it.
- Handle the command completion when the tab key is pressed. It returns a list of string completion suffixes.
- Customization of the prompt label.
- Predicate for whether to allow character insertion.
JQuery Terminal Emulator is a plugin for creating command line interpreters in your applications. It can automatically call JSON-RPC service when user type commands or you can provide an object with methods, each method will be invoke on user command. Object can have nested objects which will create nested interpreter.
You can also use a function in which you can parse user command by your own. It′s ideal if you want to provide additional functionality for power users. It can also be used as debuging tool.
- You can create interpreter for your JSON-RPC service with one line of code.
- Support for authentication (you can provide function when user enter login and password or if you use JSON-RPC it can automatically call login function on the server and pass token to all functions)
- Stack of interpreters - you can create commands that trigger additional interpreters (eg. you can use couple of JSON-RPC service and run them when user type command)
- Command Tree - you can use nested objects each command will invoke a function if the value is an object it will create new interpreter and use function from that object as commands. You can use as much nested commands as you like. if the value is a string it will create JSON-RPC service.
- Tab completion with TAB key.
- Support for command line history (it use Local Storage if posible or cookies).
- Include keyboard shortcut from bash like CTRL+A, CTRL+D, CTRL+E etc.
- Multiple terminals on one page (every terminal can have different command, it′s own authentication function and it′s own command history) - you can swich between them with CTRL+TAB.
- Support for basic text formating (color, background, underline, bold, italic) inside echo function.
- You can create and overwrite existing keyboard shortcuts.
If you know another awesome console (terminal) component, please don't be shy and share it with the community in the comment box. Have fun !