Whether you’re part of a government agency or a law firm, the importance of ISO 27001 consultants remains paramount. Having these skilled consultants by your side is the only way to survive the current wave of data breaches and cybersecurity threats.
But how do you pick the right candidate for your organization? While experience is a crucial factor, it’s not the only one to consider. From references to accreditation, a few considerations can help you select the ideal ISO 27001 consultant.
Read on to learn more about this certification and how you can find the most suitable expert.
What is an ISO 27001 Certification?
Also known as ISO/IEC 27001, this certification is the universal standard for Information Security Management Systems (ISMS). Professionals with this certification have the expertise to manage and protect these systems for various organizations. By hiring ISO 27001 consultants, you can ensure your customers and stakeholders that their sensitive data is safe.
Here are a few key factors about the ISO 27001 certification:
- This certification details how to establish, implement, and improve an ISMS.
- ISO 27001 prioritizes risk management above all to combat the recent wave of cybersecurity threats.
- Companies with ISO 27001 certifications must comply with all laws and regulations related to information security.
- A company’s ISO 27001 practices are incomplete if it isn’t continually improving its ISMS for maximum security.
- Businesses can attain an ISO 27001 certification with a formal audit from an accreditation company.
- Customers and stakeholders are likelier to trust organizations with ISO 27001 certifications.
- These certifications apply to all types of businesses, whether a government agency, non-profit, or educational institution.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an ISO 27001 Consultant
With so many applicants available, it can be hard to find the right ISO 27001 consultants for your company. Consider these factors to make your decision simpler.
- Experience: Of course, a consultant’s experience says a lot about what they can do for your business. Take a look at their past projects to determine their success rate in protecting various ISMS. Other than that, look for consultants with experience in your specific industry; each sector’s ISMS looks different.
- Accreditation: Consultants with accreditations are always more reliable than those without. ISO 27001 Lead Auditor, CISA, or CISSP are a few certifications to look out for. At the end of the day, any certification from a recognizable accrediting body works!
- References: To ensure your applicant’s reliability, request a few of their past client references. This will give you an idea of their client satisfaction rate
- Cost: If your company is on a budget, you’ll also need to consider the consulting cost of the applicant. Typically, certification audits cost £8,000 to £40,000. While saving money is important, it’s even more crucial to find an auditor who brings value to your business.
- Approach: Lastly, take a closer at the ISO 27001 consultant’s approach. A telltale sign of an expert is a consultant who tailors their approach to your company’s niche, needs, and history with cybersecurity threats. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to managing an ISMS.
Questions to Ask Your ISO 27001 Consultant
Once you’ve narrowed down your list of ISO 27001 consultants, you can ask a few questions to find the best of the best.
- How long have you worked in the field of ISO 27001 consulting?
- Have you helped other organizations in our industry achieve ISO 27001 certification?
- Are you certified as an ISO 27001 Lead Implementer or Auditor?
- How would you tailor your auditing approach for our specific ISMS?
- Can you tell us about a success story of your consulting capabilities?
- How long would it take you to complete our ISO 27001 certification project?
- What services are included in your consulting fee?
- Will you be able to ensure our ISMS meets all regulatory standards?
Choosing the right ISO 27001 consultant is a foolproof way to strengthen your organization’s information security system. These experts will protect sensitive data, build stakeholder trust, and withstand the latest cybersecurity threats. Use our guide to make sure the candidate filling the role has all these characteristics!